CRM 2011 Beta installation issues (Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions Setup)


We recently installed the CRM 2011 beta on a virtual server where there was already a SQL server installed.
The CRM server was supposed to be installed on a seperate instance so we created an instance called CRM.

Now there is a know issue when installing the Reporting Extensions on a named instance of SQL server.
This is an extract of the CRM 2011 beta readme:

An error occurs while installing Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions pointing to a named instance of SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 R2

An “Error| Check ReportServerValidator : Failure: Unable to validate SQL Server Reporting Services Report Server installation. Please check that it is correctly installed on the local machine.” error occurs when you install Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions pointing to a named instance of SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 R2. To work around this issue, install Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions by using a configuration file with the following tag appropriately defined:

<instancename>CRM</instancename>

After applying this to the install-config.xml of the reporting extensions we still received the error.

The exact message was:

Error installing Reporting Extensions Setup:
—————————
Microsoft Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions Setup
—————————
Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Common.Analyzer+CollectAction failed.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
—————————
Retry   Cancel  
—————————

Digging into the installation logfiles I found the following entries:
Instance Name needs to be escaped. Management Exception: Invalid namespace

It was trying to find the instance named RS_MSSQLSERVER, which was the reporting services namespace for the default instance.

Looking arround on the net gave me some problem solutions but none of them fixed the issue.

The following steps may have (partially solved the issue)

  • There was  an “_” in the reporting services web URL (it was set to localhost/reportserver_crm)
  • The mof files of the report server pointed to the RS_<<instance name>> (check this post for more info)
  • the install-config.xml pointed to the wrong instance name (from the beta readme file)

None of the above fixed the problem. This got me looking even further and I tried to check both of the SSRS instances configurations.
It seemed the default instance was not yet configured. After configuring it, the Dynamics CRM Reporting Extensions Setup seemed to install successfully.

I still had one more issue because the reports were not published after the installation. But I think this was a problem with the beta setup.
When I created a new Organization AFTER the extensions were installed, all the reports were published successfully.

Advertisements
Tagged with: ,
Posted in CRM 2011

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: